Sunday, May 24, 2009

We've arrived!

20 hours of driving, 1050 miles and no sleep means we have arrived in Kentucky. We left Manchester, NH at 5:45 pm on Wednesday. We drove straight, except stopping for gas and snacks until 4:15 am when we both really needed a nap. At that point, we had driven 630 miles. So we pulled into a 24-hour gas station in West Virginia and snuggled up for an hour nap. The gas station was a little sketchy but the nap was much needed; afterward, we were refreshed for finishing the trip.

We drove most of the trip and following morning without incident. About 100 miles into Kentucky and 100 miles from my parents, I got pulled over. The cop claims I was going 78 in a 65, but so wasn't everyone else. He just figured he'd pick out the MA plate. So after about 15 minutes on the side of the road, he gives me a form informing me that I am "violator." I have no idea what this means. There is no fine to pay; you have to call the "violator's office." After that we got off the highway and went straight to the liquor store, because I was a little pissed. I remained angry for the rest of the trip, especially since I have only ever had one speeding ticket and that was 4 years ago in the MA pike tunnel in MA.

We finally arrived at my parents house at 1 pm on Thursday. We went straight to the pool, upon arriving and began 3 days of complete relaxation.

During the trip, we played a lot of word games and crosswords, listened to Dane Cook, laughed a lot and discussed all life's current quandaries.

Lois spent a few days enjoying the Kentucky life and laying by the pool for hours on end. She left this morning to fly back home. I am immensely grateful to her for driving with me to Kentucky; without her, it would have taken much longer for me to get here. Below are some pictures from the road trip, including a lot of signs of odd names from West Virginia cities.

Here's Lois driving through the horrible NY traffic at about 9 pm on Wednesday.

This is Big Otter, West Virginia. I just thought it was an odd name.


And we've arrived in Kentucky!

3 comments:

  1. you are going to be such a gifted blogger....can't wait to read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see two issues with the story: 1) Drinking because you're mad is a sure sign of alcoholism! 2) Thinking Dane Cook is funny, you really must have been sleep deprived, drunk and suffering from sun stroke!

    ReplyDelete