Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 14 of 14!

One of my main goals of 2010 is to be truly comfortable with my body. So for the past 14 days, I've been working out almost every day, I've only missed 3 days so far. For the first week, I tried to diet by just eating less. That didn't produce a lot of results, so last week, I started the South Beach diet.

Its not as hard as people made it out to be. While there is a lot of food you can't eat, there's a ton of food you can eat. As of last Thursday, which was only day 4 of South Beach, I'd lost 2.5 pounds. Since I haven't weighed myself in since then, I don't know where I am at now. But I feel good, so I think that's all that really matters.

I enjoy being able to eat a lot of cheese and meat. The only things I really miss is potatoes. Any kind: white or sweet. After phase 1 of south beach, you can start eating sweet potatoes again, which I think will make me very happy! I did have a few instances where I found out after I ate something that it wasn't on the approved food list, but I don't think its going to kill me. I have deliberately cheated yet. If I've gotten through a week of it without cheating, I think I'll be ok.

Happily since May, which is a big measuring point for me, I've lost 16 pounds. I'm hoping to lose about another 15 pounds before the summer.

In addition to dieting, my workout routine includes the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD. I always thought workout videos would be a joke, but I have to say I sweat a lot while using this video. And as corny as it is, I like doing it. I'm looking to purchase another one soon, because I know the first 2 routines by heart now.

In other news, my mom is also working hard to lose weight. She got a Wii for Christmas and has been doing the Wii Fit a lot. But she's also currently applying to get the lap band surgery. I'm not crazy about this idea at all. I haven't told her how I feel yet, but I've had a lot of questions. I'm not crazy about unnecessary surgeries. I know she isn't healthy at her current weight, but I also don't think she's worked to find a good plan for her yet. She hasn't been approved yet for the surgery, so hopefully in the meantime she's going to continue working hard to lose weight on her own. I love my mom and want her to be happy, I'm just nervous about the surgery.

A good friend of mine lost her Dad during gastric bypass two years ago. I know gastric bypass is different than the lap band, but its risky surgery none the less. I'd never want to have to live through the nightmare she has.

3 comments:

  1. Go Sarah! I've done South Beach a couple of times and found it worked well for me. I ate a lot of salads those first weeks. Good luck working toward your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! Wow, I hope that Ms. Denise doesn't opt for surgery. Besides the risk of death, I have noticed that many people regain the weight in following years because their habits didn't change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lap band is FOR SURE a different surgery than gastric bypass. i have no faith in doctors as you well know, but if she chooses surgery (which i hope she doesnt) - please check out the doctors, facility and what their emergency situation procedures. Baylor hospital was up the road and they didn't take him there for the "REAL" doctors to see what the problems was or the blood transfusion that would have saved his life.

    I just don't want to get to the point in my life where surgery would EVER be an option and NOW is the time. I wish you the best of luck with your journey this year as well!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete