Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Next Sarah Palin?

I don't think so, but I have decided to embark on a political career. A few weeks ago, Big Pete mentioned to me that Town elections were quickly approaching. He told me that the seat for Town Moderator was open and suggested I run for it. This was Wednesday night, he told me I needed to sign up for candidacy by Friday. So I had little time to think over the decision.

On Thursday, I placed a few calls and asked advice from a few people, but by Thursday afternoon, I figured I should at least make the effort to try for it. So I am officially on the ballot as a candidate for Town Moderator.

Now you're probably wondering, "what is a town moderator?" Essentially, the Moderator runs the Town and special meetings. They keep meetings in order, tell people when it is their turn to talk, not talk or when a vote needs to be taken. Most of the rules for Town meeting are based off Robert's Rules of Order. Fortunately, during my time at Hillsborough County, I have provided a few legal opinions based upon these rules, so I know them quite well now.

When I signed up to run, I didn't ask if anyone else was running. It now turns out I do have opposition. I'm not scared or nervous about the opposition. The only thing I do happen to be scared about is actually taking on the role.

I think this will be a fantastic experience, no matter what happens. I've always been very opinionated and interested in town politics, so I figured it was about time I let the curiosity get to me and make a move. I have created a facebook page as a way to publicize my effort so we'll see if that pays off in the long run.

I've also been inspired by a friend to get back on running. I took the entire month of February off due to insane work hours and high stress. The running would have helped me de-stress but finding the time to run probably would have killed me. So as of today, March 1, 2011, the running begins again. I'd like to run a 5k every month for the rest of the year, aiming for a half marathon in September/October. Even though I've only gained a few pounds (not even 5) since I haven't been running, I am not at my healthiest. Its not just about the numbers its about how you feel.

I haven't been inspired just about running, but in life generally. One of the greatest friends that I have from college, Jenn, is also a blogger. Just yesterday she wrote an awesome blog about balancing life, running, dieting, etc. It really inspired me to make the time to get back into balance. Its really draining when I don't make enough time for myself; I get tired more often, I'm more irritable, and generally more anxious.

Also since my last post, I met someone. Interestingly enough my last post was about the Turkey Trot. I did pretty well during that race, not my fastest, but not my slowest. More importantly is the guy who finished 11 seconds behind me (its still a running joke between us- sorry for the play on words). I didn't know him at the time but four days later we went on our first date, after meeting online. I remember seeing him at the race right after I went through the finish line while they were taking my number, but given the weather and the hill during the race, I was more focused on catching my breath, than I was trying to find a date, at the time. We've been inseparable since. More to come on him when I have time, but I'm glad to report that I am happily in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment