Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day of Rest

After a full week of running, 7 days and running 24.43 miles, I needed a rest. So on Monday, I forced myself not to run. I wanted to so bad, but I knew my body needed the rest. On Saturday, I ran 2.6 miles in 21:22 minutes (a 8:33 minute mile) and on Sunday, I ran 3.6 miles in 30:15 minutes (a 8:24 minute mile).

Today was the first bad run I've had. My shin splints really kicked up, and I was in pain during most of the run. I did 3.6 miles, a run I do often, but in 33:00 flat; the worst time I've ever had for this distance (a 9:10 minute mile). The time isn't the worst, but I wanted my day of rest to make my runs better not worst. Afterwards, I came home and iced my shins; they're feeling better now, so I'm hoping to have a good run tomorrow.

I'm also definitely feeling the stress of the pending bar results. Its only a few more days until the results come out, but it feels like a lifetime. I can't wait for September 24th to be here. Its also an exciting time for my friend Sara. The day after I get my results, her husband comes home for a two week break from Iraq. He'll deploy again until January, but at least she'll get to see him for a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. “The most important day in any running program is rest. Rest days give your muscles time to recover so you can run again. Your muscles build in strength as you rest.” — Hal Higdon

    *marathon runner, author, and editor of Runner’s World

    ReplyDelete