Thursday, September 9, 2010

Run, Forest, Run

As I mentioned in my last blog, I've been getting a lot of satisfaction out of running. Its extremely mind clearing. In fact since my iPod died a few months ago, I don't even listen to music when I run. Its my time to think about whatever is going on; it actually helps me to focus at other times, when I've made my run time to think about everything else.

Most days, I run in the afternoon after work. My main route has been about 2.59 miles, on some back roads, that include both paved and unpaved surfaces. My time usually stays between 22:30 and 23:00 minutes. The fastest I've run that route so far is 22:23, which is actually under a 9 minute mile, but I clearly remember being too sore the next day that I skipped my run. I was even dedicated enough during August that I even ran some days in 90 degree heat. Not the most sane idea, but I wanted to stick to it and see if I could make it a regular exercise routine for myself.

For a while, I was having a really hard time with shin splints, in only one my legs. Someone told me to run in the dirt for that issue. So after I few weeks of sticking to the dirt, I set out yesterday to do a long run. I ran 4.33 miles in 40:32. It averages out to about a 9:21 mile. I ran the entire time with no stops. I even ran uphill for about a quarter mile, without stopping during or at the top (like I promised myself I could, if I made it through the hill). I'm extremely happy with the time, given the distance, and it was first longer run. My shin bothered me a bit, but I pushed through.

I am also signing up for my first 5k. Its on Sunday, September 19th. I figure I'll do it, not make a big deal of it and see how I handle the pressure of a race and running with other people. Right now, I usually run alone. However where I run, everyone sees me and I get a lot of honking and waving. Its not the same as running with other people though. I think if I keep up the running for the next week and a half, I could get closer to a flat 9 minute mile than where I am now. I don't want to pressure myself, but I'd be happy if I had a good result on race day. I'll plan to run the route this weekend, just to see what its like.

1 comment: