Thursday, June 25, 2009

I fought the law and I won!

During the trip to Kentucky, I was stopped by Kentucky's finest. The officer claimed I was going 78 in a 65 mph zone. I believe I was the victim of profiling because I had Massachusetts license plates. The officer was kind enough to give me a ticket, which would have cost me $170. Since I was given the option, I figured I'd drive to Traffic Court for the hearing and take my chance with the judge.

So on Monday, I drove the 85 miles to court for my hearing. As I entered the court, outcomes a small child wearing nothing but a shirt and a diaper running around in the courthouse. I knew right away this would be a different experience than the Boston courts. I got through security and went up to the courtroom. Everyone else appeared to be standing in line, so I followed their lead.

When I got to the front of the line, I gave the clerk my last name. She looked up the information and simply asked, "were you speeding?" In a comical fashion, I answered "no." She looked at me, as if recognizing that she's not as stupid as I thought she was. Her response to me, "Ok, I'll dismiss it with a warning." I was almost dumbfounded. Could it really be this easy?

It could be. I was in the courthouse for maybe a maximum of 8 minutes, before I left to drive the 85 miles back home. On my way home, I decided to treat myself, after my great victory. I drove straight to the liquor store.

In Elizabethtown, where my parents live, its a dry county, so you have to drive at least 25 to 30 minutes to the closest liquor store. So having seeing the opportunity of a liquor store, I knew I had to take advantage of the opportunity. At the particular liquor store I went, I'm sure they knew I wasn't from around there. Every other customer that came to the store while I was there used the drive through. Yes, a drive through liquor store!

Besides my recent victory over the speeding ticket, I really have not been up to much else. In exciting news, I will be in Boston for the 4th of July weekend, during which I may make a special appearance at the Capozzi BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment