Sunday, August 30, 2009

Working hard for the money....

I've been in NH about 4 weeks now, and I've been working pretty hard ever since. I've enjoyed working since I haven't done it in months. However, I have to admit its been hard. Its not easy to go from studying all day 7 days a week to working 9-10 hour days.

During late August and Early September, I worked usually 9 am to about 9/10pm. I would get up, walk Bailey (the family dog and my new BFF), shower, then head to the boats. Since the boats were still running during the week, they needed to be cleaned daily also. I would spend a few hours cleaning both boats, then I would start my shift for the daily tour on the MV Sunapee. Mostly I sold tickets, chatted with passengers, and tied/untied the boat at docking and launching.

After my shift there, I would either head back to the restaurant to work the dinner shift, or move to the MV Kearsarge to get ready for the dinner cruise boat. I really enjoy working the boats, because you get to know people. Most people are generally polite and interested to talk to you. However, there's always that mischievous/rude few that get the galley up in a roar.

A few weeks ago, we got hit by Hurricane Danny. For the most part it was really only rain, except for the wind and rain on the lake. When you work on boats, weather can be issue, even though we do sail rain or shine. Unfortunately yesterday though, the rain was so strong that it took 2 of us to pull in one of the boats in order to dock it properly. In the process of doing that, one of the poles we were supposed to tie up to, broke off the dock and sank, proving to make the process 100 times harder. The pole was fixed but it was quite the adventure that day.

Other than that, I've started focusing more on job searching. For a while I really wasn't sure where I wanted to be and what I was going to do. Now, I've narrowed it down a little and I'm really considering permanently settling in NH. I've even applied for a few positions here. The only downfall to all this: I would have to take the NH bar in February. Some people think I am gluten for punishment. Three bars in a row?? But really, I've always loved NH and while I enjoyed my time in Boston, I don't want to settle down there. However, I would consider the north shore and/or south shore, if I found the right job for me.

For a while now, I've even allowed myself to forget about the bar and the pending results. But I'm really starting to get anxious now. I know many people are pulling for me, as I am pulling for my self, but I'm just ready to know already.

I'm also back to babysitting. This weekend, I am with Walker (3.5) and Barrett (1.5), while their parents are away at a wedding in Maine. Over the 4th of July, I also spent the weekend with Walker and Bear while their parents were at a wedding in Denver. They're great little boys and a lot of fun. However, at the end of the weekend, I'm pretty exhausted from chasing after them.

On a sadder note, our dear golden Freddie is not doing so well these days. The vet is pretty sure he has some sort of internal infection, yet they haven't figured out just what yet. I know he's old, but that doesn't make it easy.

Below is a favorite picture of Freddie and our time together, this summer in Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment